Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Food Porn/Gastrorgasm: Meatloaf

Yea homies! MEATLOAF! Say what you want, but here at QL we're superfans of the good ol' Americana. We put the salsa to the side and made space for meatloaf tonight.

I remember the first time I had meatloaf, my mom made it. Its one of those dishes that doesn't really come natural to Mexican people, but we trust American recipes because no one else can come up with this kind of bullshit; ground beef, bread crumbs... and ketchup. I like to make a really simple recipe that I've adapted from Everyday Food. The original recipe calls for ground pork, but pork and I have a really complicated relationship so in keeping with my notorious habit of avoidance, I just substitute the ground pork for ground sirloin, fuck the pigs.

Before the main course, I made a salad composed of organic (some of the Michael Pollan rubbed off on me) baby romaine, red bell peppers (super sale), purple onions, gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, oh, and a dash of salt and pepper. Super simple, nothing too overwhelming because we were about to have a mother of an entree... and dessert. I took it easy on us, a salad for the sake of getting our greens and produce in.

Here comes that heffa... This bitch took her sweet time in the oven, about an hour and twenty minutes, in true diva fashion. Indulge in the food porn.



I also made garlic mashed potatoes and really simple sauteed summer squash and zucchini.




I got a new burn. In a really gross way, I'm kinda proud of my burns. "475 degree oven, you don't scare me!"


We had this wine. My sister gave it to me, its a 2004 Modus Toscana from the Ruffino Vineyards in Italy. Delish, one of the oldest vintages I think I've had. Maybe I shouldn't have had it with meatloaf...


Dessert: Ghiardelli brownies from the box, with Breyer's French Vanilla Ice Cream. I'm a cook, not a baker.


On a totally unrelated note, Maxwell is gonna be in Chicago on Thursday... oh. I wonder if he likes meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment