Monday, August 24, 2009

Saturday's Feast

My parents' birthdays are within days of each other's, so we celebrated both on Saturday. Its usually a feast when its just immediate family, but my parents invited some extended family and friends as well, so the feast was ridiculous. I personally had a lot of fun with my mom, helping her keep the kitchen clean, discussing ingredients and looking at food porn together (in particular, a plum galette in September's Everyday Food). As long as food is involved, there is peace between my mom and I, so I covet these moments, then my sister's and I hate on each other when one of us is in my mom's favor, its rarely all three of us. My one sister prepared some 20lbs. of arrachera, some chicken & a few hot dogs for the occasion, my other sister brought a chocolate cake and my mom prepared an endless array of other goodies (rice, refried beans, frijoles charros, taquitos de huevo verde, chorizo, nopales, cebollitas, 2 salsas, and arroz con leche for dessert) . My favorite was the frijoles charros. The next day there was little left, but I managed to make it home with some beans and tomatillo salsa.


1 comment:

  1. graciela, i'm very interested in this cactus like vegetable in your photos. i see this frequently at the grocery store and think about grilling it, but don't know how! maybe you have some suggestions on how to prepare and serve...

    ReplyDelete